[netatalk-admins] PAP documentation

Subject: [netatalk-admins] PAP documentation
From: Bob Krzaczek (krz@floodland.cis.rit.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 28 1999 - 22:34:02 EST

Slightly offtopic, I'm afraid, but...

Where might someone go to find documentation on the PAP protocol? I
see references to "Inside Appletalk", but all I can find on the Apple
Developer's Connection is "Inside Networking", which isn't quite
getting down to any real protocol details. I'm sure I'm missing the
obvious link, but I just can't seem to find something that describes
the actual information being exchanged during a PAP session.

I'm investigating the netatalk PAP daemon and psf filter, with an eye
towards speeding them up, optionally turning off the blasted CR->NL
conversion, and handling PostScript binary/binary-tagged data correctly
(our users don't always remember to select "ASCII" in their printer
setups, and changing the PPD's language level to "1" doesn't always do
the trick for some programs, unfortunately).

As I make changes in exploring papd, I certainly would find reference
material on what papd is *supposed* to be doing quite helpful...

Thanks in advance; I'll post back any answers I get to the list.

--
// Bob Krzaczek, RIT Center for Imaging Science  <krz@cis.rit.edu>