Re: [netatalk-admins] options:limitsize not working

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] options:limitsize not working
From: Benjamin Gilbert (i479@prism.simplenet.com)
Date: Sat Dec 04 1999 - 00:31:10 EST

At 12/1/99 8:46 PM, a sun (asun@cobalt.com) wrote:

> Has anyone gotten options:limitsize (in AppleVolumes.default) to work in
> asun2.1.4-pre36a? I added it to the config for our primary netatalk
> volume in order to work around some broken Mac software, and nothing
> happened -- the free-space number displayed on the Macs remained around 7
> GB. Other configuration changes on the same config line (options:ro, and
> so on) do work, so afpd is successfully reading the file. No error
> messages in the log or anything -- the option just doesn't seem to take.
>
>AFP has two ways of getting the amount of disk space free. one way
>uses a 32-bit number while the other uses a 64-bit one. limitsize only
>influences the 32-bit one under the assumption that anything that's
>going to use the 64-bit one already has dealt with overflow
>issues. are the old broken programs still broken? if so, i'll restrict
>the 64-bit number as well.

Oh, I see what you're doing there -- you're restricting freespace to 2GB
as opposed to 4GB. Hmm.

Yes, the program is still broken with limitsize on, but this particular
program (versions of ClarisWorks older than 4.0v6) seems to be a special
case -- as best as I can tell, it's getting the 64-bit number but then
not handling it correctly. The problem only occurs on AppleShare clients
older than 3.8, interestingly enough. Perhaps there's a bug in the
client which triggers something in ClarisWorks...?

Might be overkill to have the limitsize option restrict the 64-bit number
as well. I suppose there could be a *second* option to restrict *both*
numbers, but it might not be worth it if this is the only program
affected. (*Is* it? I assume so...)

--Benjamin Gilbert