Re: [netatalk-admins] "too many files open"

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] "too many files open"
From: Lewis Pennock (lewis@lewis.net)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 16:27:02 EST

On 12/14/99 2:33 PM sat wrote:

>Try MacOS 9. The number of allowed open files has increased dramatically.

Yes, we had to do this for other reasons as well. OS 9 increases the
number of files open from around 350 to thousands. As a side note, if
you search
 http://archives.mac-mgrs.org/ for "too many" or whatever, you will see
several thread about this. Here is my summary which I found on the Mac
Manager's archive at this link:

 <http://archives.mac-mgrs.org/1999/19990601153448.html>

Subject
           Summary- to many files open error
 From
           Lewis Pennock <lewis@removme.lewis.net>
 Date
           1 Jun 99 15:34:48 -0500
 No real resolution here, except for a clean install, and that's a maybe.
 I got more questions about what my responses to this problem were than
 suggestions for solving it, but here they are:

 The Math: She has too many fonts open. A Mac can only have 384 files
 open at once.
 She may have "only" 25 suitcases open in ATM or Suitcase or Font Reserve
 or whatever.

 People blamed Font Reserve and ATM for opening up all the fonts in the
 system folder on startup, necesitating your minimizing those fonts to
 just the system fonts and rebuilding your font databse (For The Record,
 we had already stripped down people's system Font Folders)

 Also for the record, this happened with both ATM Deluxe and Suitcase. We
 are thinking about migrating to Font Reserve and a font server, but
 that'll have to wait until I have more time.

 One person said:

 "It has something to do with apple sys 8.6. I get an error after a bit
 over 600 files in a directory, it happens in all applications that I
 open to date. The error is something to the effect that all of the
 files will not be displayed but the file is saved ok and everything
 seems to work fine."

 But I am talking about something else here, not the open and save dialog
 box or anything like that.

 One said:

 "Is it Quark 3.3.2? And, do you have a hard drive larger than 4gigs?
 If so, remember that Quark 3 has a problem with those large hard drives."

 No, we are using Quark 4.04 all on G3's with at least 128 Megs Ram, all
 with at least 6 gig drives, and a 400 MHZ ASIP 6 server with several
 Ultra Wide Drives in a RAID Level 5 HFS+ formatted volume as the server.

 I was sent here too:
 http://archives.mac-mgrs.org/1999/19990315182839.html

 That helped, but when the problem occurs, she quits everything else and
 just has necessary fonts open and it still happens again. I double
 checked her Suitcase settings (and her ATM Deluxe settings before that)

 It is not a corrupted font, at least I don't think so: we re-copied a
 master font foler that works fine on other people's computers, locked
it,
 and the problems continue.

 Thanks for all the responses, and let me know if anyone has any further
 information on this since it wasn't really resolved, and so many of you
 wrote me with similar "me too, but I never figured out how to fix it"

 -Lewis

 My Original post:

 --
 Lewis Pennock