Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk questions

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk questions
From: Andrew Morgan (morgan@orst.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 12:30:30 EST

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, admin wrote:

> I am new to netatalk usage, and I have a few questions. First, is there
> a troubleshooting guide/FAQ available that we can reference for
> problematic issues other then the one at umich.edu (espically MacOS 8.x
> probs)? Second, is the project still being actively developed? Third, is
> there a technical document(s) available that describes this seemingly
> illogical method of sharing files (just what the heck are are these
> .Appledoubles all over the !@##!% place!). I still can't get over the
> one-button mouse thing.

A good web site for Netatalk help, links, and more is at:
http://www.thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/

Netatalk is still being developed. Adrian Sun is working on v2.1.4 of his
patches, and a few others (myself included) are working on papd.

Mac files have a data fork and a resource fork. The data fork holds the
usual file data while the resource fork contains Mac specific settings
such as the icon, file creator settings, etc. Netatalk uses the
.AppleDouble directories to hold the resource forks for each file.
Anytime you create a file on the Netatalk server from a mac, an
.AppleDouble directory will be created.

        Andy