[netatalk-admins] nfs mounts and permissions

Subject: [netatalk-admins] nfs mounts and permissions
From: Netatalk Admin (netatalk@freebsd.starkmedia.com)
Date: Mon Feb 08 1999 - 10:19:45 EST

I have gotten a few responses about the problems I have had with mounting
Sun Sparcs over nfs and then seeing the whole mounted partion from a Mac
through a netatalk connection.

(Confusing perhaps)

Here is a diagram...

[Happy Little Mac] -- appleshare --> [bsd] -- nfs --> [sparc]

I can connect to the bsd machine and see the top level of the mounted
sparc filesystem, but once I try to open directories, especially
directories with lots of files in them, it take a long time to display, if
ever. I am wondering if it has to do with the permissions it has once it
is mounted via nfs.

It has no permission to write, at all. Not even the root user on the bsd
machine can write to the mounted partition. So if afpd wants to create an
Appledouble directory, it cannot. Could this be the root of the problem?

Are Appledouble files absolutely necessary? I am guessing that they are,
but have not read much about them due to the lack of documentation for
netatalk so far. (We should all start a documentation project.)

Brennan Stehling - that guy in milwaukee