[netatalk-admins] PPD

Subject: [netatalk-admins] PPD
From: Christian Pomar (pomar@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 13:46:10 EDT

Hi all,

I have netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-4 running on a RH6 linux machine (I got
it from Red Hat on a rpm file). It works fine and my lonely macintosh
(iMac) mounts volumes OK and sees correctly the printer (which is an
LJ1100 feeded by ghostscript). Well, it prints OK if I do not use a PPD
file.

When I specify a PPD in the /etc/atalk/papd.conf, when it gets to print,
the Macintosh stays frozen and in the syslog file appears:

Aug 21 00:41:04 localhost papd[2181]: child 2306 for "Impressora a
Linux" from 65280.203

and nothing happens.

Depending on the Macintosh application trying to print, the results are
different: Quark hangs completely the machine, Word gives a timeout. In
the linux side, after some time, the "done" message appears in syslog.

I have tried many things, but I never succeeded to print when specifying
a ppd file.

I have been looking around in the archive but I have found nothing. żAny
suggestion about what is happening?

Does anybody else print with a lj1100? what ppd do you use? can you
always print correctly using GS?

Thank you very much

Christian Pomar